Friday, October 18, 2013

Rule 2: Writing is HARD

     That's not news, is it?

     I've spoken of this before. There comes that horrible feeling in the middle of the day when I haven't really written anything, and I feel like the whole day has been wasted. And despite all that I'm tempted to give up and just read.

     SIGH.

     That's still going on. Here's me, sitting here, trying to produce something publishable. Don't know that it's going too well.

     This is maybe not so much a rule as an observation. Writing is work, and that work is hard. I don't care who you are. You can't seriously look at me and say that you've never had trouble writing. If you haven't you probably aren't working hard enough, not taking it seriously.

     It's the same as all work, really. I'm lazy and ready to find any excuse I can to step away from the workplace and go relax. I imagine that others probably have not sunken to my degree of sloth, but I do know that there's an element to human nature that doesn't like to work.

     I can't offer much other advice than what I've said already: Keep doing it. Keep going. Keep working. Despise the distractions and put to death the protests. Fight to work harder. Don't worry. Victory will be yours, with hard work, effort, and not a little time. Your mountain will fall.

     I think I hear the sound of one falling now.

No comments:

Post a Comment